Saturday, January 8, 2011

Course in Human Relations & Organizational Behavior Re-Framing My Thoughts on Storytelling

I’ve been on Winter Break for a few weeks now – it’s been glorious to sleep in, relax w/ family & friends and most of all, NO DEADLINES to worry about!

So steeped in relaxation since my last final (Accounting – aggggghhhh!), that it came as something of a surprise when, over happy hour with a girlfriend recently, I found myself with “business-school speak” quite naturally dripping off my tongue. My friend, Stephanie, recently started a new job where she manages the Programs department for a national non-profit. It had been a while since I had seen Steph (since just before the semester started to be exact – no surprise there), and, given my natural curiosity about people, I gave into my usual habit and ended up “interviewing” her about her new position.

A part of Steph’s role requires her to manage volunteers once they’ve been recruited and trained. One challenge for her is retention, and as I continued to interview her I learned that most of the turnover seems to be tied to volunteers who come in with unrealistic expectations.

As a media producer, my first thought was, of course, “Let’s make a training video to address this issue!” So we brainstormed on ways to frame a video that would help manage the expectation of a potential volunteer. But then our conversation went even deeper – and for this I give credit to the Human Relations & Organizational Behavior (HR/OB) class I took this past semester.

First, thinking from the Organizational Behavior perspective, I asked her questions that allowed us to identify a breakdown in communication between her department (Programs) and Marketing (who is responsible for recruiting volunteers). Then, by looking at the issue from an Human Resources perspective, I suggested that the video, through the means of telling a compelling story, needs to address the HR topics of on-boarding, organizational culture & cultural fit and training & development.

Suddenly I stopped myself – poor thing – it was a Saturday night and in my excitement, there I was grilling her about work. But she told me to fugggedaboutit – turns out she was super excited to think about these daily work issues from a fresh perspective.

Who knows what will happen with this idea (perhaps it could be my capstone project in my final semester), but regardless, Steph was very excited with how I was able to break down the issues and supply practical business solutions to an ongoing issue. And I am SUPER excited, that after just one HR/OB class (more to come in the Spring), that I was able to enrich my story-telling capabilities and include these additional facets of traditional business principles.

2 comments:

  1. Way to put that MBA to work, Bev. You've given me some stuff to think about for Krav, too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Thanks for the encouragement Parker! So glad its jogged some things for you as well :)

    ReplyDelete