Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Putting Out Fires

Do you know how to use a fire extinguisher? I sure didn't. I've seen them in my workplace, I even have one under my kitchen sink, but if a fire actually broke out I could only hope that I'd get it right.


It seems to be human nature to think the worst won't happen to us - perhaps that's why I never bothered to learn how to use a fire extinguisher before. Last week though, while on a stroll through Hollywood (do I know how to take advantage of a mid-term break or what?), we came across a free lesson in using fire extinguishers. When offered, I jumped at the chance to learn a new skill. It was actually pretty simple:
  1. Turn the pin to break the seal,
  2. Pull the pin,
  3. Aim the hose at the base of the fire,
  4. Squeeze the trigger, like you're killing zombies, until extinguished.
During our Digital Law, Policy & Ethics class today it dawned on me that what we're studying is kinda like learning to use a fire extinguisher. Our law professor, Russell Rains, assures us that his goal isn't to train us to be lawyers, but rather, as MBA students, to skillfully spot the legal issues that naturally arise during the regular course of business. As digital MBA students, we are also focusing on legal issues unique to the digital environment.

Laws continue to evolve, and this evolution is sped up by ever changing technology. The first copyright laws in the U.S. primarily only applied to books and maps, but those laws have obviously been updated in the ensuing years to reflect the new realities created by new technologies. I may never be a lawyer, but I'm excited that I am being equipped to put out fires, digital and otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment