Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Grind

My head just exploded.

This is why
(WARNING, your head may explode by reading the following passage):

Using standard HTML, SoccerMANIA.com’s webpage might, in fact, be in-line linking to the Pelé photo stored on, say, “SoccerPASSION.com.” If that is the case, when the person seeking to visit SoccerMANIA.com’s webpage uses his browser, the browser would (1) download SoccerMANIA.com’s webpage, (2) parse through the various HTML commands of that webpage, (3) per HTML code, display the text “We proudly show this photo,” (4) also per HTML code, Dear God, stop now! Save yourself! ...follow an in-line link to the image stored on SoccerPASSION.com, (5) download the photo to the user’s computer directly from SoccerPASSION.com, and (6) display the image in the browser below the text. Because the visitor cannot see any of these actions take place, he probably—but mistakenly—will assume that the copyrighted photo of Pelé is stored on and served by SoccerMANIA.com. Indeed, even though the image was actually transferred directly from SoccerPASSION.com, the address shown on the user’s browser will still indicate something akin to “http://www.SoccerMANIA.com/webpage.html”. This is because browsers display the address of the file (here, a webpage) that they are currently rendering; they do not in any way indicate the location from which each component element of a webpage (such as an image) originates. (Perfect 10 v Google, Inc. et al.)
This goes on for nearly 50 pages. Yes, 50.

I've always wanted to read "the classics", you know, Austen, Tolstoy, Joyce. In grad school I'm reading the classics alright - the classic cases and high-court decisions in business and digital law: Campbell v Acuff Rose, Sony v Universal, Napster, Grokster, Perfect 10 v. Google, etc.

I'm learning a ton... important stuff about the application and evolution of law in the digital age - in particular about copyright law.. but this is the grind of business school... reading till I'm cross-eyed. I've recently quipped that after graduation I will never read again. My boyfriend thinks that I should then taking up knitting - but I suspect he is purely selfish on that point and just wants free, custom-made knitwear. Whatever, too much to read till then.

What's keeping me going right now? This awesome quote from our New Venture Creation guest lecturer, Ryan Gravelle*:

Entrepreneurs have a chance to make the world a better place and solve big problems. We've already got enough ways to post pictures of lunch.

I look forward to graduation. Not simply because I'll have time to learn to knit (maybe - who am I kidding?), but because I am chomping at the bit to start putting my dMBA education into practice!


* Ryan attributed the quote to Kevin Neuse, but Kevin told me it was from an article he Tweeted about. If you know the name of the article, lemme know!

No comments:

Post a Comment